Friday, January 16, 2015

Storybook Favorites: Creativity at its Finest


Storybook Favorites: Creativity at its Finest


Have you ever wondered how many stories there are in the world? I cannot even begin to fathom a number. It sure helps to narrow down your search by whatever category that may be. Even that can produce a huge amount of results. The Indian Epic Storybooks that have been made in past semesters probably add up to over 300. So attempting to pick my three favorites is a daunting task. 

What drew me in to each storybook site was a creative name and/or site. Below are the three storybooks that I chose:


Bedtime Stories

Cartoon-like depiction of Indian Story. Source:Photobucket

Everyone loved bedtime stories when they were little. The introduction didn't snag me as much on this storybook, but the stories after did. I really liked how each story within the book was made into a bedtime story. Also, there are so many neat Indian pictures to view, but I really liked the one displayed above that I found in this storybook. It reminds me of a modern day Indian image (probably due to the cartoon-like features).


Yama's Hair Salon

I found a storybook that featured women and I jumped at it immediately. I have been pretty involved in female organizations (go women) and so I love that these stories all revolve around a few lovely ladies of India. This storybook is creative because it describes the female characters as if they were together in a hair salon. I love the dialogue between the women because it helps to draw out their personalities and also show how they do or might act with one another.

Law & Order: SSU

This last storybook was one of the most creative. It related a show that most everyone knows (Law & Order) to these Indian stories. The introduction does a nice play on the show’s beginning theme that occurs every time you watch an episode. That definitely drew me in! I also really liked how each story after that was on a different "agent" and the set up of each story looked like a case file. How creative! 

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I think you picked some really great storybooks to look more into. I really like the first two that you mentioned. I loved hearing Bedtime Stories as a kid, so I like the idea of incorporating this aspect into Indian epics. I also thought the pictures used were great and added a lot to the stories! The Yama's Hair Salon one is also wonderful! It's funny and clever how the stories were told as if they were a group of girls at a hair salon. I loved the structure and writing in this storybook as well. You picked some really great storybook favorites!

    ReplyDelete