Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 3 Reading Diary B: A giant, war, and eagles

From Narayan's The Ramayana


Thoughts and Favorite episode:
  • (Pg. 133) I don't understand why Rama is so quick to be angry with the sea god. Especially since Rama is displayed as always trying to do the right thing.
  • (pg.136) I like the part about Kumbakarna being woke from his sleep. I feel like that is probably me in the mornings. Especially the part about being hungry.

Attempts to wake Kumbakarna up Source: Wikimedia

  • The battle scene is long, but mostly exciting. On page 141 we are introduced to Panchajanya (a battle conch) and another name for Rama (Mahavishnu was Rama's original form before he was incarnated).
  • (Pg 142) Rama and Ravana are in an air battle. This made me think of WWII and all of the war scenes fought in the air that we see in movies. 
  • Garuda is a really neat character. I love eagles and Garuda seems particularly majestic; (pg 135) when the eagle gets rid of the poisonous darts and we see Garuda again on pg 142, and boom pg 145
  • (Pg. 148-149) This part sort of made me angry..I don't understand why the females seem to always be portrayed as possibly unfaithful or not pure anymore. 



Favorite Quotes:

  • Pg. 136: "A small army had to be engaged. They sounded trumpets and drums at his ears and were ready with enormous quantities of food and drink for him, for when Kumbakarna awoke from sleep, his hunger was phenomenal and he made a meal of whomever he could grab at his bedside."

No comments:

Post a Comment