Tuesday, April 28, 2015

College Writing Review

As an engineering major, I don’t get the chance to practice my creative writing very often. I have been able to take the general education writing courses, which honestly did not enhance my engineering writing skills very much. My technical writing course, however, was more applicable to my major. We were able to practice some professional writing (e-mail formatting, resume, plus much more).

I would consider this course a “relieving course” which can be good and bad. The writing we performed did not correlate much to my major, but it was a nice break from my intensive chemical engineering courses. Unfortunately, sometimes one has to prioritize their work and the “relieving courses” get shoved to the side.


Overall, I think my technical writing course did a pretty decent job teaching engineers how to write in relation to our degree. If I had to design a course for all majors, I would snag some material from technical writing to teach students about professional formatting (e-mails, letters, phone calls, etc).

A very professional resume. Source: Openclipart

No comments:

Post a Comment