Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Week 12 Reading Diary A: Khasi Folktales Second Half

From the Un-Textbook: Khasi Folktales


How I felt during some of these stories. Source: Flickr



Thoughts and Favorite episode:

 The Leap of Ka Likai
  • Started the story thinking, oh how lovely! This landscape is described in great detail and then...
  • ...how disgusting and gruesome. Poor little girl. She didn't do anything!
What caused the Shadows on the Moon
  •  I don't understand why some of these stories are so unusual with things like incest.

U Ksuid Tynjang
  • I found this story sort of humorous. For example, the demon tickling others to death. We have all felt that before...probably when we were little kids. Adults being bigger and more able to tickle attack us.

What makes the Lightning
  • There seem to be a multitude of thunder and lightning stories. I always imagine a bunch of different things happening in the sky. Now I have one more story to add...a bunch of animals partying and dancing with their weapons.



Ka Panshandi, the Lazy Tortoise

  • I think the female should be the star and the male should be the lazy tortoise...just sayin
  • 'Persons in love never take heed of other people's advice."
    • How true! I have experienced this multiple times (on the advice side mostly).
  • U Lurmangkhara reminds me of a shooting star

How the Cat came to live with Man
  •  This story was super cute :)

How the Tiger got his Strength
  • Too bad humans have not taken the word of the mother and only used weapons against animals. I realize war is inevitable and sometimes useful, but I still dislike it. I also dislike mistreatment towards animals, but I do like to eat.

Why the Goat lives with Mankind
  • Sort of bored with this story. 
  • Man should have made goat supply milk or cheese as payment for protection.

How the Ox came to be the Servant of Man
  • It seems true that ox (or cows) always eat a lot of grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment