Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary B: Guha stories

From Buck William's Ramayana: King Rama's Way

Thoughts and Favorite episode:


  • (Page 65) It was interesting that Manthara hated Rama for shooting a play arrow into her hunchback when he was young. She seems very evil and Kaikeyi very persuadable.
  • Wonder what the significance of 14 years is (Rama's banishment time)
  • (Pages 73-74) I liked that Sita combated every argument Rama had for her to not come with him into the forest.
  • I would be so annoyed with everyone not easily accepting what I chose to do. Everyone is trying to get Rama to stay and argues with him. Eventually, that would get old.
  • (Pages 87-89) I really like Guha and how he has figured out how to live well in the forest. He comes to Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana with food, beverage, and other goods. He allows them to join his people and offers his protection to them
  • Guha kicks Shiva's statue every night despite the circumstances (flood) and even tries to when there is a hungry wolf pack surrounding the statue.
  • I found it humorous that Shiva mistook Guha's actions. It clearly shows the two different perspectives.

Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana in the forest. Source: Wikipedia



Favorite Quotes:


  • Page 70: '"Rama, have I done right?" asked Kaikeyi. "If you say you have, you have; I will believe you...'
  • Page 72: "People who think they care for nothing at all have saved more lives than they ever knew, yet believe themselves alone, and unloved."
  • Page 91: "But I told them-I worship only God, and God is a tree."

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I have also wondered why 14 years was the amount of time that Rama would be banished. Maybe because it is long enough for everyone to forget about how great Rama was? Haha! I like all of your observations, and how you include some of your favorite quotes at the end. I may have to start doing that! I hope your semester is going well!

    ReplyDelete