Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Week 5 Reading Diary B: Sita's Capture

From Buck William's Ramayana: King Rama's Way

Thoughts and Favorite episode:


  • (Page 170) I thoroughly enjoyed the scene where Sita rejects Ravana. 
  • I would like more background on why simple acts are considered "the right thing to do." For example, on page 169, Lakshmana goes into the forest to find Rama because Sita wishes him to do so even though he knows that it is a trick. Just by satisfying Sita's desires, he claims that he has done right. However, I find his decision illogical. 
  • I can't quite remember but wasn't Jatayu an eagle (instead of a vulture) in Narayan's Ramayana? (Page 173).
  • I like how Buck references storytelling in within the stories (ie. Listen Rama- or Listen Sita-)
Sita and Ravana. Source: Wikimedia




Favorite Quotes:

  • Page 170: "Sita laughed. 'Garuda mating with a goose? A firefly courting the Sun?'"
  • Page 170: "'A gnat trying to suck up a bowl of butter?'"
  • Page 180: "'For there is nothing worse than the tears of the innocent.' said Indra."
  • Page 193:
"I greet my Death. 
Yama, come my Friend 
And take me home."

No comments:

Post a Comment