Sunday, February 22, 2015

Week 7 Reading Diary A: Indian Fairy Tales First Half

From the Un-Textbook: Indian Fairy Tales

Thoughts and Favorite Unit:

  •  The Lion and the Crane
    • I like the poetry in this one.
    • Reminds me of the story where the mouse saves a lion from netting (he nibbles the netting so the lion may escape).
  • The Broken Pot
    • DID NOT like the part where he abuses his wife. Also, don't like where the story displays that women should be doing domestic work.
  • The Magic Fiddle
    •  The writing didn't flow as smoothly in my opinion so this was a longer read for me
  • The Cruel Crane Outwitted
    •  I liked this story! 
    • The crane has evil intentions and deceives the fish (which means he eats them all). The crab however is not so easily tricked and is able to outwit the crane. 
    • This has Karma written all over it
  • The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal
    •  I've noticed that Brahman's tend to have a kind heart
    • This story is very similar to the one directly above. Maybe I could merge the two stories and characters for a possible storytelling post. 

Another image of Karma; what goes around, comes around. Source: Wikipedia

  • Harisarman
    •  Wasn't as interested in this story...at least compared to the two stories above.
  • The Charmed Ring
    • I enjoyed this story, but I think it might be hard to recreate it. It was pretty detailed and in order to put a twist on it I feel like I would have to go off on some creative tangents.
    • It definitely shows the power of friendships over money!

No comments:

Post a Comment