Friday, February 20, 2015

Week 6 Extra Reading Diary Bengal Fairy Tales Second Half

From the Un-Textbook: Folktales of Bengal

Thoughts and Favorite Unit:

The Ghost-Brahman

A Ghostly Wife

The Story of a Brahmadaitya

The Ghost who was Afraid of being Bagged

  • The four stories above were all ghostly. I'm not a huge fan of horror (I guess they weren't really horror, but I'm a wimp and almost anything can creep me out)

The Bald Wife


    • I think it is funny to imagine what a women would look like with two tufts of hair on her head.
    • Wouldn't it be great if I could swim in some water and my hair would magically grow (and maybe thicken too).
    Ruby Ring. Source: Wikimedia


    The Origin of Rubies

    • I immediately like this one....probably because it has a queen in it.
    • I am noticing how melodramatic these stories and characters are. The princess threatens to kill herself if she is not given another ruby. She will be such a drama queen when she gets older (see what I did there). Haha. It's okay if you don't laugh. It was royally corny.
    • The prince and queen causally turn into a lad and mother. I found this a little confusing and interesting. Maybe it was done so not to confuse the king and princess?
    • Kind of gross that the rubies were blood droplets from the beautiful lady's head that was severed from her body.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment