Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Brainstorming Styles for Karma


Topic: Karma


Karma will be the main feature of my storybook. Two options for stories that I have are Sumantra’s Story from Buck William’s Ramayana and the Vasu gods and Ganga from Buck William’s Mahabharata. Maybe I could do another story on karma and rebirth, but I am not sure if that will be too general or repetitive after I have written about the two stories above. I do plan to take a first-person perspective (from Karma’s point of view). I also wouldn't mind going for a frame tale, but I may find that too challenging and lean back on creating an anthology. 



Karma; paying it forward. Source: Wikipedia

Possible Styles:

1.       Karma’s Diary Style

I imagine myself really being able to create a personality for Karma and make her/him and actual character. Perhaps this will help the audience connect to him/her because they might be able to relate to some of the feelings that she displays in her diary as she writes about her dreams or experiences (the Indian epics).

2.       Interview Style
If I chose to do an interview, than I would probably go for a speed-dating scene as I could see myself being able to add some humor into the storybook. The immediate detail I think of is Ganga drowning her children and Karma somehow telling this to her speed-date and him running as quick as possible. I like the option of bringing another voice into the equation to avoid things being monotonous.
3.       Therapy Style
Using a therapy setting could also work well for Karma. Karma, as a person might have a curse due to her past activities (oh, the irony) and as a result she is forced to enact karma upon other people in which she struggles with and seeks out therapy for. This could be really fun.
4.       Motivational Speaker Style
Karma could be giving a speech to persuade people to only do good so that she can give them good in the future. She might use fright tactics on some of the stories to prove how terrible life can be when you do bad things. Maybe she could be giving a ted talk on what is ‘bad’ and what is ‘good.’
5.       Letter-writing Style


This is a neat idea because each story can be addressed as a separate letter to the character that was most affected by Karma. Maybe she can explain why they received her wrath or gift. I could also do the opposite and have the letters written by the characters to Karma. That would definitely help to add different voices, but then maybe it would be considered third person (which is fine).


Bibliography
Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata

Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama’s Way
Indian Epic Storybooks: Karma. Website: Blog
Karma. Website: Wikipedia
Vasu. Website: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment